Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Things we miss...


There are some days our distance from the UK feels further than normal and as I prepared for a play-date for a cute kid with a gluten intolerance I reached for my flapjack recipe and found that I needed golden syrup... but there was none in the supermarket and it became worse when we found out that in America a flapjack is in fact a form of pancake. However I'm calmer since sourcing the golden syrup from the fabulous World Market.
My maple syrup version being consumed here...

Then on to the passing of Michael Winner - a North London movie man who never wavered from who he was and what he loved about life - food and girls (and teddy bears) amongst them, and certainly was not bothered if he offended anyone. He is rather a loss to British culture and I'm certain I didn't share his politics.

Today's shocker was a PBS broadcast on the link between soya milk consumption in young children and breast cancer (great!) and precocious puberty... so it's off to Wegman's stores in the Washington DC area for Simpli Naked Oat and a bit of shift in our breakfast routine. More than sometimes I long for Waitrose...

Other things we can't easily replace:
Aquafresh children's mint toothpaste - the views - Kenco decaf - Garnetts pickled onions - Quorn sausages - plain pork sausages - M&S stir-fry veggie mixes - Lavazza & Illy decaf - Tyrrells crisps - Fortnum & Masons (!) Piccalilli - Yorkshire tea - Maltesers and other chocolate - Dorset Muesli - Great tights - Fat Face clothing - Sunday Observer - Bertolli spread - National Trust - Pressed cod roe - George's traditional Fish & Chips - Lamb - mini pork pies