Sunday, June 10, 2012

More Yorktown, Chesapeake Bay


Now we have the kit... sun umbrella, spray-on sunscreen, beach shoes and a much maligned shark float. 'Did they not make princess ones?!?' I heard amidst tears. I chose the shark. I thought he was cute and not at all scary but it seems I was wrong. Thankfully he's peeling off and don't mention that there was actually a sweet Nemo option.

So thanks to Mattel's inane, 'Barbie and the Mermaid Tale 2' we have a kid who was so determined to swim that she spent all of Saturday coursing this bay, then all of Sunday getting herself down the length of the splendid pool at the Jefferson Country Club, coaxed on by us, her buddy Eliza and eventually much of the clientele.

Finally she mastered the full 20 metres before setting off for the diving board... after 15 minutes of weeping and shaking at its end and mutterings of, 'I can do it!' - she jumped. The crowd cheered, the life guards stood down (yes, 2!)  and she was addicted. She was hauled home many leaps later.

All this so that she can go and learn to surf in Hawaii!!! I thought this one was not determined. It seems I was wrong.

PS: There were baby jelly fish - blancmange like things that brushed us with each stroke in the water - no stings though.